Credit Reports For Those Who Die In California

When someone in California dies, a family member should get a credit report to find out what accounts are still open and need to be closed, what debts are outstanding and to verify there has been no identity theft. Those who die are often targeted for identity theft. It can take a very ling before a family becomes aware of the fraud.

You can obtain a credit report on someone who has died by writing to the three big credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax and Trans Union. Give those bureaus information about the death with the decedent’s full name, address, social security number and date of death. Include a copy of the death certificate and give your name and explain your relationship to the decedent. Ask for the decedent’s most current copy of the credit report and that a notice such as “Deceased – Do not Issue Credit” be included in the public record. Be sure to request that any suspicious activity be reported to you. Send the letter certified mail.

If I can help with the death of someone in California, call me. I handle probate and trust administration and can assist with the legal process of administering a will or a trust or the probate of an individual without a will.

For more help, call probate attorney Mitchell A. Port at 310.559.5259.