Here are 10 things NOT to do in terms of estate planning in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Diego and all other California counties:
1. Use non-experts for advice.
2. Forget to fund your living trust.
3. Own large bank or brokerage accounts as joint tenants.
4. Forget to have your will and living trust reviewed every few years.
5. Lose your original documents.
6. Name your estate as the beneficiary of your IRA or other retirement account.
7. Forget to coordinate your beneficiary designations with your plan.
8. Leave property directly to a minor child or incapacitated person.
9. Use the ostrich approach to estate planning.
10. Underestimate the value of using an estate planning specialist.
The best thing you can do to learn more is to consult with an estate planning attorney. Call Mitchell A. Port for a free estate planning telephone conference at (310) 559-5259.