Transfer A Vehicle Without Probate In California

The California Department of Motor Vehicles has a clear explanation about a transfer of a car and other vehicles without probate at its website. The decedent’s heir may transfer title or interest of the vehicle if the estate is not going through probate or awaiting probate of a will.

The California form entitled “Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate” may be completed without Testamentary Letters or Letters of Administration. Transfers without probate may be done only for vehicles registered in California.